The new year is the perfect time to reset. What are you hoping to improve your life? Perhaps you’re interested in being a better homeowner or homemaker. If so, these 5 New Year’s resolutions for your HVAC unit are perfect for you:
1. Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
Commit to cleaner, fresher air in your home in 2019. You’d be surprised at the small changes you’ll have to make in order for this to happen:
- Change your air filter regularly. You should check your filter monthly to see how much dust and debris has built up over the last few weeks, just to be on the safe side. However, it’s standard to change out your filter about once every three months.
- Let in a cross breeze. On days with decent weather, your instinct may be to head outdoors. Let your home enjoy the day too by opening some windows and allowing a cross breeze. This brings in the fresh air and helps naturally eliminate musty odors.
- Purchase some indoor plants. The right indoor plants can improve the quality of air in your home significantly. Wheatgrass, for example, has amazing benefits!
2. Schedule Inspections and Maintenance at Least Once a Year
Just as your air filter should be checked out regularly, so should your HVAC system. You may think that your furnace or air conditioning is running smoothly, but sudden changes occur over time. If you’re not careful or observant, those changes could lead to costly repairs. Stay on top of your HVAC system’s needs by scheduling inspections and preventative maintenance in 2019 and beyond!
3. Lower Your Energy Usage with a Smart Thermostat
It might be one of your general 2019 New Year’s resolutions to go green. You might recycle more, use less plastic or use less electricity. But it’s tough to balance comfort indoors with helping the planet. Upgrading from a standard digital thermostat to a smart thermostat can help! While you’re away from home, you can set your thermostat to a lower temperature this winter and then have it automatically raise the temperature in the hour before you return.
4. Unblock Air Vents
Increase air circulation in your home by unblocking all air vents. When you moved in or redecorated your home, you may not have noticed that you were blocking a vent with your furniture. Take some time to check for air vents behind or below your furniture. Move any chairs, bookshelves or decorations that are blocking vents.
5. Be More Prepared for HVAC Emergencies
Few people are prepared for HVAC emergencies. Sure, your savings account may help, but don’t blow your savings on something that could be prevented or, at least, be less expensive. Sign up for a monthly membership with Complete Comfort for discounts on services, replacements and special benefits. The membership even includes annual inspections for your HVAC system, so you’ll have a head start on two New Year’s resolutions by signing up.
If you’re ready to make your home more comfortable and welcoming in 2019, try out some or all of these 5 New Year’s resolutions for your HVAC unit. Call one of our friendly Complete Comfort representatives if you have questions, want to schedule service or want to sign up for our Comfort Plan.